How to Know If You Have Asbestos

For many years, asbestos was used a building material. It is incredibly efficient at insulating against the transfer of heat. In fact, it is so effective that ancient Romans used to use it to stick their hands in fires as a party trick. They also used the material to grab hot metal from a fire. It was long regarded as one of the most efficient insulation materials in the world. It became clear in the 20th century that asbestos is actually carcinogenic. It contributes to different diseases, including cancer. For that reason, many people began to phase it out of their homes and businesses. However, it was not phased out nearly quickly enough. Fortunately, in Australia, the material was discontinued sooner in than many other parts of the world, but it is still a problem. It is still a problem that has impacts on the present day. If you live in a home or work in a building that was made before the 1990s, you might have asbestos. Here are some ways to know if you have asbestos.

Construction Date

In Australia, the use of asbestos was eliminated in 1989. It was widely known to cause different types of disease and cancer for decades but was not completely phased out until then. Also, it was not completely banned until 2003. So, if you have a building that was built before the 1990s, you are at risk of asbestos. Also, some structures built after that date might even have asbestos because it was not as highly regulated until it was completely outlawed in 2003. So, if you are at all concerned about asbestos in your home or business, you should call professionals such as those at Proas Removalists.

Asbestos is a danger, but only a danger when it is breathed. It is a fibrous material that has to be separated into distinct fibres for it to harm you. That does not mean it’s safe, though. It means you should call professionals if you think you might have asbestos. If you disturb it, you are increasing the danger. Professionals will know how to safely remove it.

Popcorn Ceilings

The ceilings that are described as popcorn ceilings for their bumpy appearance were once made with asbestos. Now they are made with different materials that also offer insulating properties. However, if you do not know whether or not your ceiling has asbestos, you should call a professional. The professionals will be able to determine if you are at risk.

In some situations, the professionals might even choose to not remove the asbestos. This is a rare case but, as stated earlier, asbestos is dangerous when inhaled. If you have asbestos in the walls or in the basement, they might be able to eliminate the danger. If it’s in some part of the house that will likely be undisturbed, the professionals might choose to paint over it with a heavy-duty paint made specifically for that purpose. You should not try to do this yourself nor should you hire someone who is not licensed.